Niles West's Top 10 Sports Moments in 2010-2011
Jewell Loyd and Niles West's track teams gave the Wolves a number of memorable moments over the past year.
Here are Patch's Top 10 moments in Niles West athletics over the past school year.
10. Water Polo Wins First Playoff Game: In its first year as a varsity program, the Wolves beat Maine West in the first round of IHSA regional play. The playoff win was a great symbol of the program’s development from a club sport that started two years ago at Niles West.
9. Boys Basketball Rallies for Win Over Niles North: Niles West stayed undefeated with a 65-58 come-from-behind victory against its cross-town rival. Ramsan Younatham had 25 points to lead the Wolves.
8. Girls Basketball Takes Regional Title on Loyd’s Game-Winner:After New Trier’s Brigit Ieuter gave the Trevians a 45-44 lead with 17 seconds to play, Jewell Loyd came off three screens and drove the lane for a right-handed layup. Her layup gave Niles West back-to-back regional championships.
7. Softball Rallies For Improbably Win Over Maine South: In their only playoff victory, the Wolves rallied for three runs in the seventh inning to stun Maine South with a 4-3 victory in the regional semifinals. Niles West lost to Glenbrook South in the regional final, but this win was one of the season’s best.
6. Kellion Gordon Wins Two Individual Sectional Titles: The Niles West senior won the 100 and 200 sectional championships despite an injured hamstring. Gordon was one of four Niles West girls to advance to the state championships.
5. Konner Scott Finishes in Top 5 twice at State Swimming Meet:The Niles West senior swimming star finished third in the 200 freestyle and fifth in the 100 freestyle. Scott broke the school records in the 100 and 200 free (45.99 and 1:40.51) during the state preliminaries and will swim at the University of Pennsylvania next year.
4. Girls Volleyball Beats No. 1 Seed Evanston in Sectional Semis: The Wolves edged Evanston 27-25, 25-22 in two tight games back in November. Evanston got out to a 10-3 lead in the first game, but Niles West rallied to win.
3. Boys Soccer Claims Regional Title: Freshman forward Dzenan Nezirevic scored in the 26th minute to score the Wolves’ first goal in a 2-0 victory over Maine South. Niles West earned the No. 1 seed in the sectional, but would lose in the sectional semifinals.
2. Jewell Loyd Commits to Notre Dame: After a banner junior year, Jewell Loyd held a press conference at Niles West to announce her college decision. She chose the Fighting Irish over other options, including Connecticut, Tennessee and Depaul.
1. Boys Track Relays Earn All-State Honors: While they did not duplicate the dual state championships of 2010, Niles West’s 4x100 and 4x200 relays both finished in the top nine, giving them back-to-back years of all-state honors in each event. Lavelle Jordan also finished sixth in the 100.