Update: Fire Raged In Park Ridge Home's Attic
The occupant got out safely, but firefighters had to rescue several roofing workers who were in immediate danger on the roof. Several fire departments responded to the house fire Tuesday, and smoke and water could be seen shooting out the roof.
Update 12:50 a.m. Wednesday:
After receiving a report of a house fire at 4:34 p.m. Tuesday, the Park Ridge Fire Department responded within five minutes, according to a fire department press release conveyed by the Park Ridge Police Department.
Firefighters found heavy smoke and a moderate amount of fire upon arrival, and had to use ladders to rescue roofing workers on the roof, who were in immediate danger, according to the release. The home's lone occupant had evacuated, and the dog got out safely and was later reunited with the occupant.
Firefighters discovered heavy fire raging in the attic, and as the fire intensified, crews were removed due to the threat of collapse, the statement said.
The main fire was extinguished within 40 minutes, but crews continued to work on the scene for at least two hours longer extinguishing fire in the walls of the attic, according to the statement.
No injuries were reported and an estimate of damages has not yet been made.
Other fire departments which responded included North Maine, Niles, Morton Grove, Elk Grove Village, Buffalo Grove, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Norwood Park, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect. Firefighters from Wilmette, Rosemont and Glenview staffed Park Ridge stations while Park Ridge firefighters were occupied with the blaze.
A house fire at 108 N. Wisner in Park Ridge drew several fire departments, including Park Ridge, Niles, and Norwood Park, to respond.
The first community alert went out around 4:45 p.m. At 6 p.m., smoke and water spray from firefighter's hoses could be seen shooting out the home's mansard roof.
Neighbors gathered to watch the firefighters' progress, and Chris Anderson, a Park Ridge resident who has worked as a paramedic, said, "They want to blast water out of there (the upper floor and/or attic) completely. The smallest piece could start another fire hours later."
A van painted with the name of a roofing company sat in the driveway, causing some neighbors to speculate that roofing workers may have caused the fire.
Patch will update as more information becomes available.
Get a daily email with local news from Patch. It's free.