Win Zoo Tix, Sleep In Mall, Torch Run, Fire
Kids can win Brookfield Zoo tickets today at 5 p.m., and can register for the Teen Center's "Night in the Mall" sleepover. Plus, Torch Run, Fire Department Centennial, Raingutter Regatta.
Some fun stuff this weekend, for kids and those young at heart:
- Win tix: The first 50 kids and teens to sign up for the Niles Library's Summer Reading program win Brookfield Zoo tickets. 5 to 7 p.m., Golf Mill Shopping Center, Golf and Milwaukee Avenue, Niles.
- Sleep in the mall: Friday, June 8 is the registration deadline for the Niles Teen Center's Saturday, June 16 Night In The Mall lock-in party. It's an enormously popular event with a DJ, games, tournaments, food and fun.
- Check out fire trucks, free hot dogs: The Niles Fire Department holds an Open Houseat the 8360 W. Dempster Street station. Kids' and family activities, free hot dogs while they last, 31-cent Baskin Robbins ice cream to benefit the Explorer Post, tours of the fire museum, more. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Park at Northridge Prep, Citibank or Iceland.
- Cheer On Cops, Donate, In Torch Run: Police all over the state are running the torch in a relay to raise money for Special Olympics. Cheer on Niles police starting Sunday at 10 am at Greenwood and Milwaukee Avenues, then watch as they pass the torch to Morton Grove police at Dempster and Waukegan. And donate to the Special Olympics cause.
- Raingutter Regatta: Cub Scout Pack 175 invites all interested parents and boys from kindergarten to fourth grade to the Raingutter Regatta, 6 p.m. at the corner of Harlem and Cleveland (8300 north, on St. John Brebeuf Church's south lawn). Have fun and see if Scouting is for you.