September in Illinois evokes images of crisp apples, pumpkins and bountiful farmers' markets, and this past weekend was no exception. Customers at the Morton Grove Farmers' Market on Saturday got to pick from a plentiful selection of produce, such as Honey Crisp apples, raspberries, kale, cantaloupe, potatoes, pumpkins and Mirai corn (last chance for Mirai corn is this week!).
Other vendors offered honey, organic soaps, flowers, meats, cheeses, baked goods galore (including gluten-free), freshly brewed coffee and much more. Hungry shoppers ate Indian cuisine from Tava Fresh Taste of India and Latin American fare from Tamales Express.
Live music by two local musicians Jim Cole and Jon Weber was provided, as shoppers listened in the shade all morning long.
This Saturday, September 22nd will see the Farmers' Market's 2nd annual homemade Pie Contest at 10 am. People interested in participating should go to the Market's Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MGFarmersMarket) for an application. Pie contest rules include:
- Two identical pies must be entered, one for taste and one for appearance.
- 7"-10" round pies will be the accepted sizes.
- Fruit Pies only. NO eggs or dairy in the filling.
- Home made pie crust and filling only
- Winner must be present to win
- Pies must be dropped off at the judges' table between 8am and 9:45am, NO late pies will be accepted.
- Amateur bakers only
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, good luck! Pie contest winners will receive a MGFM pie-baking dish and Market Bucks (money to spend at the Market).
Pie contest judges include:
- Janine McLachlan, author of the recently published Farmers' Markets of the Heartland, who will be signing copies of her book at 9am at the Market.
- Rob Gardner, editor of The Local Beet Chicago,
- Arden Kruger of Sweety Pies Bakery in Skokie, and
- Steve Zaransky, co-owner of LTHForum, a "Chicago-based culinary chat site."
The Highland Park Pops will be playing in the gazebo in front of Harrer Pool all morning long, and Sweety Pies Bakery will be our Featured Vendor of the Day. Saturday is the last day to sign up for the $100 Market Bucks drawing, and one winner will be chosen at 12pm. On Sunday, September 23, the Market's host, the MG Park District, will host its annual Hoe-Down in Harrer Park from 12pm-4pm, complete with hay ride, petting zoo and so much more, so be sure to make Harrer Park your weekend destination!
See you at the Farmers' Market!
6210 Dempster Street, Morton Grove
Saturdays 8am-12pm through October 20th