.

The Polish Dinner Is From A Place You Know

Five lucky people win a dinner featuring an updated Polish classic in this week's Guess the Food contest. Are you one of them?

 

If you've lived in the Niles-Morton Grove area for awhile, or if you're of Polish heritage, you've probably been to White Eagle Banquets on Milwaukee Avenue in Niles.

White Eagle is the answer to this week's "Guess the Food" contest, in which we asked you to look at a pictured dish and guess which restaurant makes it.

Ted Przybylo, one of the siblings who runs the banquet hall and restaurant their parents brought to Niles in 1967, showcased the golabki (pronounced go-wahmb-kee), or stuffed cabbage rolls.

They're stuffed with a seasoned pork and rice mixture and served with a tomato-based sauce, said Ted, a graduate of Kendall College's Culinary Arts School. 

Stay informed. Like Niles-Morton Grove Patch on Facebook

Ted runs what he calls the "back of the house," including everything related to food and food preparation.The other siblings involved in running the business include co-managers Vivian and Andrew; Alice, the human resources and office manager and Vicki, who manages the dining room.

Weddings and large banquets make up about 70 percent of the White Eagle's business, while the restaurant and smaller affairs, such as funeral luncheons, make up the remaining 30 percent.

They're known for Polish classics such as kielbasa (sausage) and kapusta (sauerkraut), barley soup, pierogi, roasted chicken and of course golabki.

That brings us to the five people who won the free Polish dinner. Thirteen people correctly guessed in the contest that the pictured dish came from White Eagle, necessitating a random drawing to narrow it down to five. The winners are: Caroline Harper, Mark Schwartz, Iwona Kowalska, James Graf and John Kaczkowski. Winners, please contact Ted Przybylo at the White Eagle at 847-647-0660. It's at 6839 N. Milwaukee Avenue, Niles.

Everyone else, please enter the Guess the Food contest again next time.

Get Niles and Morton Grove news delivered in your email each morning. It's like getting a free newspaper.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something