UPDATE Friday late morning: The village of Morton Grove said all roads are passable, though water is receding very slowly in the Mansfield Park area. The village of Niles has reopened all streets, including Harts Road.
This week's rainfall and aggressive storms hit Niles and Morton Grove hard Thursday. View the photos for a sense of how bad things got.
The highest water levels occurred before and during the morning commute. But some roads were still closed Thursday night, with some expected to stay closed Friday (see list below).
Schools closed Friday:
- Park Ridge-Niles School District 64 (Emerson and Jefferson Schools in Niles; Field, Franklin, Carpenter, Washington, Roosevelt, Lincoln in Park Ridge)
- Maine Township District 207 High Schools (Maine East, South, West)
- East Maine School District 63 (Gemini Middle School and Nelson school in Niles; Melzer School in Morton Grove; Washington School in Glenview; Apollo, Stevenson in Des Plaines). Also TLC and Teen Center are closed.
Schools remaining open
(as of Thursday night--check sites Friday a.m.):
- Culver School (per its website
- Golf District 67 Schools (per district's website)
- Morton Grove District 70 (Park View School, per its website)
- Dempster Street at the train crossing in Morton Grove (likely to remain closed all day Friday, according to the village).
- Harts Road between approximately Touhy and Milwaukee Avenues in Niles.
- See update on Morton Grove road closures here
What to do with the kids:
- Take them to the Niles Library; check website for activities.
- The Niles Teen Center is open, for grades 6 and up.
- More ideas? Please list them in the comments section, below.