Many places including the Niles Senior Center offer Tai Chi as a class to people of all ages and abilities. This is because tai chi exercises are low impact. Therefore, these exercises will put minimal pressure on your joints and tendons. The benefits of Tai Chi for seniors are incredible. It can be a relaxing form of exercise that only requires about 20 minutes a day.
Just because tai chi is low impact does not mean that you will not get physical health benefits. For example, practicing tai chi regularly can improve your cardiovascular health. One of the results of a healthier cardiovascular system can be lowered blood pressure.
Here are some benefits of Tai Chi for seniors:
- Relieves physical effects of stress
- Promotes deep breathing
- Reduces bone loss in menopausal women
- Improves lower body and leg strength
- Helps with arthritis pain
- Reduces blood pressure
- Enables you to get a better night's sleep. Not only will you be able to sleep better, but you should feel more relaxed throughout the day and be able to cope with stress more effectively.
- Helps to improve balance. Studies indicate that seniors who practice tai chi regularly are less likely to fall than those who do not practice tai chi
- Requires mind and body integration through mental imagery
- Accumulates energy by releasing endorphins rather than depleting it
- Enhances mental capacity and concentration
- Promotes faster recovery from strokes and heart attacks
- Uses no special equipment--and you do not have to go anyplace in particular to practice your tai chi routine
- Improves conditions of Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, and Parkinson’s
- Can help improve range of motion and flexibility
- Can be a social activity. If you learn tai chi with others in a class setting, you will meet people who have a common interest. You may be able to form a group that practices together regularly outside of class and then enjoys a cup of coffee and a chat afterwards
If the opportunity comes around to take a tai chi class or sample a demo, why not do so? The Arthritis Institute of America has endorsed tai chi as a wonderful way to ease the pain of arthritis in people of all ages. Our instructor at the NSC is certified from the Arthritis Institute, and a FREE demo will be held July 28th at 10:00 am. If you’d like to give tai chi a chance, call us at 847-588-8420 to register.