An elderly man was taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in critical condition with burns Friday afternoon, then transferred to Loyola Medical Center's Burn Unit.
He was injured in a fire in his apartment on the eighth floor at The Park, a senior living home at 8975 W. Golf Road, Niles.
Niles Fire Department Chief Steve Borkowski said paramedics checked out seven other people, all employees of The Park, on the scene, but they declined to go to the hospital. All had gone into the apartment to try to help bring the situation under control. Paramedics checked them for smoke inhalation, Borkowski indicated.
"The rest of the units in the building, and on that floor, are habitable," he said. "There was some fire damage in the kitchen, but not a lot."
The Niles Fire Department and Niles Police Department were still investigating the scene Friday afternoon. The fire started between noon and 12:45 p.m.
In the first-floor lobby of The Park, dozens of residents were socializing and eating lunch as firefighters and police went in and out. Many could not get back to their rooms because the fire department had had to shut down the elevators.
Fire departments which responded to the fire, in addition to Niles, included: North Maine Fire Protection District, Glenview, Park Ridge nd Morton Grove.