Amina Ahmed, a sixth-grader at the MCC Full-Time School, and the other four children in the family have all been released from the hospital, MCC Full-Time School Vice Principal Arshi Mujtaba said Tuesday. Also, a funeral was held Tuesday for the two victims.
Zainab Ahmed, an 18-year-old alum of Morton Grove's Muslim Community Center Full-Time School, died Sunday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at her family's home in the West Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago, according to the school.
The girl's 77-year-old grandmother, Rasheeda Akhter, also died, according to WGN News.
A current sixth-grader at the school, Amina Ahmed, is hospitalized, along with four other family members, said Arshi Mujtaba, vice principal of the MCC Full-Time School. They are expected to recover, she said.
Various family members were taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago and Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, she said.
Members of the extended family lived in different apartments in the apartment building, which they owned, Mujtaba said.
The building had a working carbon monoxide detector, and when firefighters took readings, some showed up negative for CO, but they later got a positive reading in a basement boiler room, WGN reported. Gas and power have been cut from the building, according to abclocal.go.com.
Zainab Ahmed was a 2009 graduate of the MCC Full-Time School and was attending St. Scholastica Academy High School, according to the Chicago Tribune.
At the MCC Full-Time School, counselors are available today and tomorrow to talk to students or community members who wish to talk, Mujtaba said. She said the funeral would likely take place tomorrow but did not know details.
Anyone wishing to send condolences to the survivors can send them to The Ahmed Family, care of MCC Full-Time School, 8901 N. Menard, Morton Grove IL 60053.
Mujtaba said the surviving family members have vacated the building, but the school would receive any cards and deliver them to the family.