As 2013 winds to a close, we're taking a look back at notable things which happened this year. Although it was more quiet than other years in terms of crime, there were some notable incidents. These are among them.
- Two Niles Men Charged With Aggravated Battery After Their Victim Spots One of Them Driving Around. They were charged in September; they had beaten the man in March, after questioning him about his gang affiliation and whether he was going to purchase drugs, police said. They called the two men "known gang members."
- 73-Year-Old Man Charged in Niles Bank Robbery. He told the teller his doctor had given him six months to live.
- Armed Robbers Display Guns At Niles Phone Store, Steal Electronics. They waited until other customers had left the Radio Shack store.
- Parkway Bank Robbed. The robber indicated he had a weapon, but did not display it.
- The Hair Salon Bandit terrorized stylists at hair salons, displaying a gun in robberies of salons in Niles, Morton Grove, Skokie, Chicago and elsewhere. He was eventually caught, after hitting 15 salons, and pleaded not guilty.
- Niles North Security Director Charged With Theft of School's Electronics. He then vacated the post.
- Man Charged With Felony Theft After Stealing $333 Worth of Premium Liquor, Police Say. That included Moet Champagne, Grey Goose Vodka and Chivas Regal.
Like Niles-Morton Grove Patch on Facebook