If you missed the voter registration last Tuesday for suburban Cook County voters, you're not out of luck.
Grace period registration and voting is now available for eligible Illinois voters who missed the registration deadline but still want to vote in the Nov. 6, 2012 Presidential Election.
"Procrastinators can still participate during the grace period if you need to register to vote for the first time, change your name or update your address," said Cook County Clerk David Orr in a statement.
The grace period is available until Nov. 3. If you register during the grace period, you must vote at the time of registration.
Grace period hours and locations for Suburban Cook County voters are:
- Mondays-Fridays: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Clerk's downtown Chicago office (69 W. Washington, Fifth Floor) and five suburban courthouse locations
- Skokie, 5600 W. Old Orchard Road, Room 149
- Rolling Meadows, 2121 Euclid Ave., Room 238
- Maywood, 1311 Maybrook Square, Room 104
- Bridgeview, 10220 S. 76th Ave., Room 238
- Markham, 16501 S. Kedzie, Room 238
- Saturdays: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. only at 69 W. Washington, Fifth Floor
- Sunday Oct. 21: 9 a.m. to noon only at 69 W. Washington, Fifth Floor
- Sunday, Oct. 28: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. only at 69 W. Washington, Fifth Floor
Grace-period registrants vote on touch screen voting equipment immediately after registering. Grace-period registrants are not eligible to vote at the polls on Election Day or take part in Early Voting.
To qualify to vote, a person must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old by Election Day (Nov. 6) and a resident of his or her precinct for at least 30 days prior to the election.
If registering during the grace period, you must display two pieces of identification. Neither needs to be a photo ID, but one must include your current address. Some acceptable forms of ID are:
Illinois driver's license
Illinois state ID
Employee or student ID
Credit card statement
Social security card
Utility bill in applicant's name
Postmarked mail addressed to the applicant
Valid U.S. passport
Lease or rental contract
For more information, visit the Cook County clerk's website.