Chuck Barbaglia, who has a long record of public service in the Niles area, resigned from the Niles Park District board at its meeting Tuesday, according to Ray Czarnik, park board president.
Czarnik heralded Barbaglia for serving on the park district board since 1997, and for many years of public service in other capacities before that.
Charyl Szydloski, Barbaglia's daughter, provided a partial list of Barbaglia's public service:
- Board of Directors for St. Benedict's Nursing home
- Niles Chamber of Commerce President
- Fire and Police Pension Board
- Easter Seals Chairman
- Christmas Seals Chairman
- Lions Club member
- Trustee for Bank of Niles, 1st National Bank of Niles and Grand National Bank of Niles
- Member and served as president of Niles Sister Cities
- 15 years as Park Board Commissioner, including service as president
Barbaglia has sold his home in Niles, after the passing of his wife about a year ago, and plans to move to Texas in September to live near his daughter, Czarnik said.
The park district is accepting applications for the vacancy on its board, and would like to appoint a commissioner by its September meeting, Czarnik said. The appointment would continue until the spring 2013 election, and if the appointee wanted to continue in office, he or she would have to run in that election.
Czarnik said the park district is functioning smoothly, and that golf revenues may reach a record high this year because so few days of rain were recorded.