East Maine School District 63 school board member Steven Levy has resigned, and the district is accepting applications from residents interested in filling the vacancy on the board.
The person the board selects will serve until the next election, in April 2013. At that time, if the person wishes to continue in the position, they will have to run for election.
The qualifications listed by the district are, on the date of election:
- a United States citizen at least 18 years of age,
- a resident of Illinois, and of the district for at least one year immediately preceding election,
- a registered voter,
- be neither a school trustee nor a school treasurer,
- not be a child sex offender as defined in state law.
- A school board member must also file an economic interest statement as required by the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act, which will be required after January 1, 2013.
- A few others may be ineligible due to other elected offices or certain public-sector jobs they may hold.
To apply, pick up an application at the district's headquarters, the Stetina Educational Service Center at 10150 Dee Road, Des Plaines. It must be turned in to Deborah Piazza, the board secretary, by Monday, June 25 before 4 p.m.