Patch sports reporter Ross Jacobson ranks the North Shore’s basketball teams.
All the talk at the start of the girls season was about the three-team race for the CSL South title between Niles West, Maine South and New Trier. Yet in mid-December, the last remaining undefeated team is Glenbrook South. New Trier still seems to be the class of the CSL on the boys side, especially after Glenbrook North fell to Deerfield last week. Maine South jumped up to No. 2 and is our biggest riser this week. Meanwhile Glenbrook North fell down to No. 5.
Last week’s ranking is in parentheses.
WEEK 3 RANKINGS
1. (1) – The boys took care of their first two CSL South games by easily dispatching of Niles West and Glenbrook South last week. But the girls stumbled twice, losing to Jewell Loyd’s Niles West team and Glenbrook South in a mild upset.
2. (4) – Maine South’s girls are rolling, finishing the week with a record of 11-1, including a win over Niles West. The boys team beat the Wolves in its only game of the week, rebounding nicely from a tough loss against Evanston.
3. (3) – Niles West can’t seem to solve Maine South as the girls lost again to the Hawks last week. They did beat New Trier, however, and it will be fun to watch the CSL South race as the season progresses.
4. (5) – With a surprising win over New Trier, Glenbrook South’s girls team is the last remaining undefeated team in the CSL South. The boys lost twice in conference to Waukegan and New Trier. This team will make strides as the season moves on, but they need to start winning games for their confidence.
5. (2) – lost its first game of the season in an overtime thriller to Deerfield. The girls edged Deerfield for its first conference win after losing to Niles North in overtime earlier in the week.
6. Loyola Academy (7) – Both teams went undefeated last week with the boys getting big wins over Fenwick and Evanston while the girls defeated Resurrection and Evanston. We’ll see how good both teams are once they start facing tougher competition in conference.
7. (8) – Highland Park is finding its stride and has now won three straight with two wins over Niles North and Grant. The girls fell to 1-2 in conference after a tough loss to Niles North and a blowout win against Maine East.
8. (9) – After going 2-3 out of conference, Maine West has started the second season off 2-0 in the CSL North with wins over Deerfield and Maine East. The girls also stayed undefeated in the CSL North, rallying past Maine East in overtime.
9. (6) – After winning seven games in a row, Evanston dropped two in a row this week with losses to Waukegan and Loyola. The girls fared better, earning a split in their two contests with a CSL South win against Waukegan coupled with a loss to the Ramblers.
10. (11) – The boys got their biggest win of the season . They still need to find some consistency as the Warriors lost to Maine West earlier in the week.
11. (10) – Much like last year, Niles North has hit a rough patch before the holidays. The boys lost their fourth straight game with a loss to Highland Park on the road. The girls eked out two close wins in CSL North play against Glenbrook North and Highland Park.
12. (12) – After two agonizing losses, North Shore finally got a victory over Francis Parker. The girls will look to rebound this week against Francis Parker and Roycemore after two losses last week.
(Covering the Patch communities of Skokie, Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Niles, Highland Park, Glenview, Deerfield, Morton Grove, Des Plaines and Northbrook.)