Written by Pam DeFiglio
- The Niles Park District meets Tuesday at 6 p.m. to install a new commissioner, issue bonds, approve a new playground, and give updates on Iceland, the proposed skate park and the Oasis property.
- Morton Grove's history is in the spotlight Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. when Mary Busch of the Morton Grove Historical Society and one of the authors of the new book "Image of Morton Grove," talks about the people who came before. Mary has a very accessible style which makes history come alive.
- Do you plan to go hungry on Tuesday? No? Then come to the Gemini Junior High School Fundraiser at the McDonald's on Dempster, east of Greenwood, starting at 5 p.m. If you present this form when ordering, the District 63 school will get 15 percent of the proceeds.
- Curious about how health insurance will work now? Attend a 5 p.m. explainer session at the Morton Grove Civic Center, 6140 Dempster. Representatives from U.S. Rep. Schakowsky's office and others will be on hand to discuss and answer questions.
- The Niles Teen Center's "Lights On Afterschool" event takes place Thursday from 4 to 6 outside the Teen Center, which is at Golf Mill Shopping Center's Entrance 6. It's a celebration of after-school programs, with exhibitors, food, prizes, a tour of the Teen Center, free stuff and more.
- Here's a volunteer opportunity: help the environment by collecting electronics at the electronics recycling event Saturday at Park Ridge Public Works, 400 Busse Hwy., Park Ridge.