Like Niles-Morton Grove Patch on Facebook and sign up to get Niles and Morton Grove news in a free daily email from Patch.
- There's a nip in the air, which means it's the perfect time to buy apples, pears and other seasonal fruit and veggies at the Morton Grove Farmers Market. This is the last weekend of the 2013 season--so be there Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. And there's a costume contest.
- Halloween season is in full swing. It's time to get your scare on at Fear City, 8240 N. Austin Ave., Morton Grove. With 40,000 square feet, 100 actors and sets designed by stage and TV designers, people drive here from all over to be frightened out of their wits. $25.
- And there's also "Scream Scene," the Skokie Park District's haunted house at Oakton Park. $9.
- This is the season to hear some scaaaary stories. "Ghouls and Ghosts," at 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Gorilla Tango Theater in Skokie, is a collection of Halloweenish storytelling by the theater's youth ensemble, and designed for kids. $12.
- The Niles West varsity football team plays an away game at New Trier Friday at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday is your chance to see the new Niles North Aquatics Center. Visit and have a look around from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 9800 Lawler; also learn how community members can swim there.
- St. Isaac Jogues Church in Niles celebrates its patron saint's feast day Saturday with a Mass at 5 p.m. and "from 6-7:30 p.m. we will have a "Taste of St. Isaac Jogues" down in our Hall with food representing the American, Filipino, Indian, Irish, Italian, Middle Eastern, Nigerian and Polish traditions." Now THAT sounds like a feast.