The headquarters location for the Niles Park District, it houses the preschool and the banquet facilities. The golf course is adjacent, and the indoor tennis complex (Tam) and the fitness/track/gymnasium facility (Golfview) are nearby.The park district has 25 locations overall, including 14 parks, one ice rink (Iceland), one water park (Oasis) and the aforementioned golf course and recreational buildings. It operates a restaurant and is a member of the Maine-Niles Association for Special Recreation, which provides recreation for patrons with special needs.
The park district is a unit of government with taxing authority. It is governed by a board of directors who meet monthly. The executive director is Joe LoVerde.
Some examples of recreational opportunities the district offers include swim classes (in summer), a licensed preschool for three- and four-year-olds, junior golf programs, a variety of summer camps for children, concerts in the park, hockey lessons and one of the largest youth basketball programs in the area. The district also plans seasonal special events.
- Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-8pm; Sat, 9am-3pm; Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: One level, no stairs.
- Founding Date: 1955
- Parking: Free lot
- Services: Recreation, banquets, preschool.
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Wi-Fi: None
- Are there any interesting facts about this location?: The golf course has historical importance, said Joe LoVerde, executive director of the park district, because the first televised golf tournament was held here in 1950.
- Features: Athletic fields, Benches, Concert stage, Grills, Picnic pavilions, Picnic tables, Playgrounds, Skating rink
- Services: Food/drink, Lockers, Restrooms, Showers
- Permit requirements: Yes, to book a dedicated use of any park, and for cooking fires.
- Restrictions: No alcohol, No smoking