Niles Teen Center
On most afternoons, severeal middle and high-school students walk or take the free bus to the Niles Teen Center, located inside the Golf Mill Mall. There, director Mark Williams, a former middle school teacher, and his staff supervise as the students do homework, work on computers, watch TV or play Wii, swim in the pool and play board games. The staff also provides tutoring and, with input from Niles Family Services, assistance to teens who may be experiencing challenges in their personal lives. Interns from Niles Family Services also visit the Center once a week.
The Teen Center organizes special events, such as movie nights, dances, lock-ins, game tournaments and dance classes. There are also field trips to bowling alleys, baseball games, the beach and other fun places. Kids can also earn community service hours by tutoring younger students.
The Teen Center is open to teens in sixth through twelfth grades. It is operated by the Village of Niles. Membership is $20 annually for teens who live in Niles or attend a school located in the village, and $35 for teens who do not.
The Niles Teen Center expanded in 2010 to include a large game/video/recreation room, a large TV room/lounge, a computer lab and study area, a library area and a lobby with a basketball hoop. Entertainment includes Playstation II, Xbox 360 Live, Wii, foosball, bumper pool, air hockey, darts, DVDs and cable TV, Guitar Hero, DDR, arts and crafts and educational workshops.
- Fax: 847-375-8962
- Hours: Tue - Fri, 3pm - 7pm; Sat - Mon, closed; open for occasional special events
- Handicap Accessible: One level, no stairs.
- Founding Date: Sep 18 2007
- What makes this community special?: Mark Williams, director of the Teen Center, says, "The services. The quality of the services the Village of Niles provides for the tax dollar you pay is second to none. Compared to other communities, they really stand out."
- Parking: Free lot
- Features: Computer room, Game room
- Private events: No
- Wi-Fi: None