Our Lady of Ransom Church
"We are a very welcoming community," says the Rev. Chris Gustafson, pastor of Our Lady of Ransom, one of three large Catholic churches in Niles.
The congregation consists of a geographic mix (Niles, Park Ridge and unincorporated Des Plaines), a socioeconomic mix (middle class, upper middle class and blue collar) and an ethnic mix (Polish, Irish, Italian, Anglo, Filipino and Indian).
"Everyone comes together beautifully, and together we form a parish community," says the Rev. Gustafson.
The ethnic mix is reflected in the parish's celebration of such holidays as Simbang Gabi, a Filipino celebration, and Maria della Grotto, a regional Italian celebration.
The parish began in 1960, and parishioners celebrated its 50-year anniversary in August 2010. The church, which opened its doors in 1962, was remodeled in 2006. A video about the parish appears on its website.
- Fax: 847-823-4291
- Hours: Masses: Sat, 8:15am, 5pm; Sun, 7:30am, 9am, 10:45am, 12:15pm; Mon - Fri, 6:30am - 8:15am; Holy Days, 6:30am, 8:15am and 7pm.
- Handicap Accessible: Ramp
- Founding Date: 1962
- What makes this community special?: "The services, from the free bus to the snow plowing in winter," said the Rev. Chris Gustafson.
- Parking: Free lot
- Congregation size: 2,000
- Services: Choir/music programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: Yes