St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church
The roots of this church extend back into Niles history. Another St. Matthew's Church existed from 1840 to 1865; this one was founded in 1896
-- three years before Niles became incorporated as a village.
Pastor Nathan Cordes describes his congregation as very diverse, with members from at least 26 ethnic and racial groups. Small flags from these various nations are displayed in the lobby. Reverend Cordes characterizes St. Matthew's as a "bottom-up" church, in which congregants research topics and seek input in order to make good, cooperative decisions.
The church offers Bible study three times a week and runs an associated preschool, where children study Bible stories and pray before meals. Special prayer services for disabled worshipers are held once a month.
- Hours: Sunday services, 9:30am
- Handicap Accessible: Chair lift.
- Founding Date: Aug 01 1896
- What makes this community special?: "I like that we have people from so many different ethnic backgrounds who are good neighbors to each other," said Rev. Nathan Cordes. "We have an excellent police force and responsive village government."
- Parking: Free lot
- Denomination: Lutheran
- Congregation size: 200
- Services: Choir/music programs, Missionary programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: No